Senator Dino Melaye
There have been calls by some quarters that medical marijuana or cannabis be legalised because of its health and economic benefits.
The Ondo State governor, Rotimi Akeredolu has never hidden his interest in legalising marijuana (or cannabis), and this understands because Ondo State is the largest producer of marijuana plants in Nigeria. The governor is of view that the business of reporting medical cannabis is a multi-billion dollar one.
Read Also: Ondo State Would Tap Into The Legal Marijuana Market — Governor Akeredolu
Dino Melaye on the other hand, has objected to its legalisation.
Melaye at a conference marking the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking by the Vanguard Against Drug Abuse stated his stance against it.
Melaye said, “There are other diverse areas that can generate revenue for the country, taking agriculture for an example,” he said while speaking via his personal assistant, Femi Obalemo.
“The 10% of Nigerians consuming marijuana are endangering lives of the remaining 90% of the population,” he added.
Up to 10.6 million Nigerians use cannabis — 9.3 million men and 1.3 million women- according to drug use statistics released by the National Bureau of Statistics.