A sad day indeed it was for residents in Niger state who mourned the loss of a pregnant woman and her two children. The pregnant woman and her two children were killed in late night fire outbreak in Bosso Anguwan Biri, Minna, Niger State on Sunday. Nigerians have been adviced to be careful when using electrical appliances at home and avoid overusing them.
Usman Mustapha, head of the household, disclosed in tears that his wife, and two children, one boy and one girl died in a fire outbreak at their home.
All three family members were burnt beyond recognition after an electric fault in the area caused a fire outbreak.
See Mustapha’s post, family photos and posts by his friends on Facebook below…
In Nigeria, houses have “burglary proofs” installed on their windows, doors and sometimes the verandah. This is a security measure aimed at preventing robbers from gaining access into the house.
It has however been observed that morbidity and mortality in burn, when it occurs in the home tend to be higher where the “burglar proofs” are in use 2 . This is because escape of the inhabitants of a house, who commonly get trapped by these rigid non-removable metals in cases of house fire, becomes very difficult.
Burns constituted 4.8% of trauma deaths in a review of trauma over 24 months at Ilorin, Nigeria 6 . Etiologically, burn injuries were domestic in most studies from Nigeria . Flame constitutes the highest cause of burns in most of the reports from Nigeria . Mortality reported in most studies from this part of the world is still very high compared to advance countries and it ranges between 21.8% and 36% in some studies . While prevention of house fires should be the priority of every inhabitant of a house and efforts made in educating people on house fire prevention, other facilities like fire extinguishers, fire alarms, should be made available in the house. Efforts should also be made to have a wide exit doors in case of emergencies.
In addition to this, however, rigid metallic burglary proofs may constitute a hindrance to movement of inhabitants of the house as well as materials whenever there is fire accident. An instance was the fire accident which occurred in a student hostel Jos; Plateau State Nigeria 12 and killed 23 students because they were barred by burglary proofs and therefore unable to escape. Similar incidents have been recorded in Osun and Adamawa states in Nigeria. Several persons also died in Lagos, Nigeria from kerosene explosion as a result of burglary proofs. Several other sporadic cases of deaths as a result of burglary proofs barring peoples’ exit during house fires have been documented.
Kindly share your thoughts with us in the comment section below and don’t forget to share.
PHOTO CREDIT: LIB