Regardless of what kind of primary heating you have in your home, an annual inspection will reduce your risk of fire.If you use space heaters, carefully inspect them before and after each use and place them at least three feet away from anything combustible.
A pregnant woman and her two children were killed in late night house fire in Minna, Niger State.The incident reportedly happened in the Bosso Anguwan Biri area of the state capital over the past weekend,Usman Mustapha, head of the household, disclosed in tears that his wife, and two children, one boy and one girl died in a fire outbreak at their home.
All three family members were burnt beyond recognition after an electric fault in the area caused a fire outbreak in their home and the occupants couldn’t find a way to escape during the outbreak.
According to the American Red Cross, house fires cause over $7 billion in property damage each year. Being prepared and conducting regular safety checks can help keep you from adding to that number.
Here are simple things you can do to protect your home and loved ones from falling victim to a house fire.
If you use space heaters, carefully inspect them before and after each use and place them at least three feet away from anything combustible.Don’t leave anything flammable near the stove or oven. Make sure curtains don’t hang over the stove, and never rest towels or a cookbook on the stove.If you have a gas-powered dryer, have it inspected once a year to make sure all connections are secure. No matter what type of dryer you have, always clean out the lint trap after a load is finished. Regularly check behind and around the dryer for pockets of lint or items of laundry that have fallen under or behind.
Regularly check the condition of cords and watch out for frayed wires: repair or replace cords with frayed wires immediately. Electrical cords can produce heat, so don’t trap them under a rug or between furniture and the wall.Many household cleaners and cosmetic products like shaving cream and hair spray are flammable. Keep flammable products away from heat, including exposure to sunlight. Designate a cool, dark cupboard for flammable products and make sure all family members know where they go.